Mission Details for Weimar (#132)



Number: 132
Date: 8/24/1944 12:00:00 AM
Commander: Lt. Col. W.T. Seawell
Crews Briefed: 39
Details: Armament and rocket factories

Flying Control

Runway: 23
Engines: 0640 Thumbnail image for /Images/Takeoff/Plan23.jpg
Taxi: 0655
Take Off: 0710
Notes: The Group was briefed at 0350 hours, and after a number of changes all 39 aircraft were airborne by 0808 hours. Two spares and one abort landed early. At 1445 hours one aircraft returned with wounded aboard and No. 2 engine feathered. Upon landing, it blew a tire and obstructed the runway, which was changed to Runway 33, then back to 23. Three aircraft were missing when the remaining operational aircraft returned at 1548 hours.


Aircraft: 39
Lost Over Continent: 3
Lost Other: 0
Summary: After a stand down of five days because of bad weather, the Group returned to action with its target an armaments factory outside Weimar. The 401st furnished three Boxes of 12 aircraft, comprising the 94th Combat Wing "B" formation.
While the target was partially obscured by smoke caused by bombs from preceding groups, all three lead bombardiers located their MPI's and the three Boxes dropped all of their bombs within 2,000 feet of the MPI, and most were within 1,000 feet.
For the first time in a number of missions, the Group was the target of repeated aggressive attacks from enemy fighter aircraft, who took advantage of what appeared to be a gap in U.S. fighter escort cover. About 30 to 50 Luftwaffe fighters attacked the Group for about 15 minutes as the formation was finishing its climb to altitude and was strung out, and about an hour later the enemy mounted another attack, concentrating on one element and stragglers. Three 401st aircraft were shot down as a result. They were "Carrie B. II" (No. 42-97344), piloted by Lt. M. M. Cain; "Down 'n Go" (No. 42-102394), piloted by Lt. P. W. Finney; and "Jill's Jalopy" (No. 43-37511) piloted by Lt. M. S. Fish. In the case of both Lt. Fish and Lt. Finney, three of the crew were killed while six parachuted safely and were captured. Of Lt. Cain's crew, two were killed while seven were captured. In addition, Sgt. W. H. Snyder, radio operator of another crew was killed and two others wounded.
In addition to fighter attacks, the Group encountered intensive flak barrages, with four aircraft receiving major battle damage and four minor damage.

Mission Assignments

Squadron Participants